Greencard FAQ

Green Cards

1. Must I carry my Green Card with me?

Yes. Government regulations require that you keep you Green Card (Form I-551) with you at all times.

What the Law Says

Section 264 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) states, “Every alien in the United States . . . shall be issued a certificate of alien registration or an alien registration receipt card in such form and manner and at such time as shall be prescribed under regulations . . ..” It also says, “Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him . . .. Any alien who fails to comply with [these provisions] shall be guilty of a misdemeanor ….” The specific requirements and procedures for applying to renew an expiring green card are contained in the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations at 8 CFR section 264.5.


2. What do I do if I lost my Green Card?

Lost Green Cards must be replaced by applying to Immigration with an explanation of the loss, evidence of the card, necessary documentation (including a Form I-90), and the appropriate filing fee.